PayPal’s IPN and PDT setup helps to ensure that orders are fully processed both on PayPal’s side and fully captured in Airbit's Order system. To ensure orders go through without issue, please follow all steps of this guide
To start using PayPal with Airbit:
- Setup a Verified PayPal Business Account. If you have an existing Personal account, you can upgrade to a Business account for free.
- Confirm your email address, which verifies the email address where PayPal sends payment receipts and account emails. (You might have done this already if you upgraded your account.)
- Provide and confirm your bank account information, which allows you to easily withdraw funds.
- In Airbit, head to Dashboard > Selling Tools > Seller Preferences (or click here) to enter your PayPal email address into the Payment Settings in Airbit
PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN)
Instant Payment Notification (IPN) is the primary means for PayPal to communicate payment to our server to ensure your orders are processed successfully. You must enable IPN for your orders to process automatically
- Log into your PayPal account and go to Account Settings > Website Payments > Instant Payment Notifications > click Update on the right hand side (or click here)
- Click Turn On IPN on the PayPal site.
- You will then be prompted for a Notification URL, which should be https://api.airbit.com/paypal/user/ipn (Note: if you already have an IPN URL set for some other system then you can leave it as it is, Airbit will continue to work - it's only necessary that IPN is enabled and any URL is set)
- Save your Settings
PayPal Payment Data Transfer (PDT)
Payment Data Transfer (PDT) is another way of PayPal sending our servers payment information for an order. This information is sent instantly after your customers redirect from PayPal to the order confirmation page, therefore we can check for a successful payment quicker than IPN alone and provide your customers will their order faster.
PDT differs from IPN (Instant Payment Notification) as IPN's are sent in the background after an order, but usually it's still instant. For best results and to ensure the most reliable checkout for your customers, you should enable both IPN's and PDT. To enable PDT please follow the instructions below:
- Log into your PayPal account and go to Account Settings > Website Payments > Website Preferences > click Update on the right hand side (or click here).
- Set Auto Return to On
- Add https://airbit.com/store/checkout to the Return URL (Note: what you put here doesn’t matter, it is overridden by Airbit and customers are always redirected to an order confirmation page)
- Set Payment Data Transfer to On
- Scroll down & Save your Settings
- Go back into Website Preferences
- Copy your Identity Token (under the ‘Payment Data Transfer’ header)
- Go to Airbit.com and paste your Identity Token into the field labeled PDT Token in your Airbit Payment settings
- Save your Payment Settings
Please Note: You may have to set up your account to automatically accept currency conversions. This can be done in your Paypal settings. If your account does not automatically accept currency conversions, this can delay payment and beat delivery, as the transaction will be put on hold pending your approval of the request. Read the step-by-step guide here.
If you don't want to use PayPal, you can use Stripe instead, which allows you to accept debit/credit card payments without PayPal. Please find a guide to doing this here.